Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Walking Dead

Walking Dead by C.E. Murphy

Aug 21, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads
Read in August, 2009

Yet another series I CANNOT get enough of. "Walking Dead" is C.E. Murphy's latest in her 'Walker Paper' series about Joanne Walker, shamaness/auto mechanic/cop. Now if that combination doesn't make you want to read this series, I don't know what would!

It's been a chaotic year for Joanne. Her otherworld mentor, Coyote, died in the last book. But as in real life, major events presage major life changes and Joanne has finally (well, mostly) come to terms with all the weirdness that goes with being who she is. She's even spending time learning and practicing. And that's a good thing when her Halloween party is crashed by a few ghosts looking for a body. Then she and her police partner are called to investigate a robbery/murder at the local museum. You would assume the murder part would be the worst...but that would only be true if the robbery didn't involve a relic called Matholwch's Cauldron. So now Joanne has to figure out how to find and destroy a relic while dealing with: the two love interests in her life, an insurance adjustor who's being nosy about Petite, zombies in graveyards, the Wild Hunt, and a teenager who's had a sure vision of Joanne's death! What's a shamaness to do?

I enjoy this series so much. Joanne is NOT your typical heroine. She's almost six feet tall, more into muscle cars than muscle men, and is often resentful of what her birthright has given her. I guess that makes her the 'reluctant heroine' instead of the 'reluctant hero'. Yet her complaints fall just short of 'whine' territory and the combination of mystery, action, and magic is perfectly suited to my tastes.

On a more serious note, this series has much less typical 'romance' and I would rate it PG which means I don't have any problems letting my sons read it...and they love it too! Another keeper for my bulging shelves and another long wait for the next chapter in Joanne's life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blackbook (last edited Aug 21, 2009 05:17PM) (new) - added it

Blackbook Great review. Got yours early, Rascal! Can't wait.

message 2: by Julie (jjmachshev) (last edited Aug 21, 2009 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie (jjmachshev) OOOHHHH you'll LOVE it!! I found mine at the local B&N