Andrew's Reviews > The Bread Bible

The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

Nov 17, 07

I bought this book when I could afford not to, but I was taken in by its extensive instruction, the brown-colored illustrations, and the stunning color-photo inserts of Crumpets with clotted cream and honey, Basic sourdough loaves with cheeses, fruits, and nuts, Ciabatta with soppressata, Pugliese, Stages of sourdough starter (from left to right, in Mason jars), and Prosciutto ring with Chianti. It will be years before I work through its recipes and out its hole on my credit card; the book’s heft, which I then bore on my walk from DuPont circle to my old apartment on 17th and T streets, is a constant remainder of the burden of responsibility. With the help of this book, I will create a bread and name it Peccadillo, which has an authentic ring to it. Color photos of my Peccadillo will be sent to all my friends.

I haven’t spent time with the bible’s market competitors, so I can not speak to their virtues, but I can say that the Bread Bible is an generous teacher: thorough, wide-ranging, and basic—excellent for the beginning baker. Chapter One, which ends on page 91, is titled The Ten Essential Steps of Making Bread.

Some breads I’ve recently made: English muffins, Pizza dough, and Basic Hearth bread (constituted only by flour, yeast, honey, water, and salt.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bread Bible.