Megan's Reviews > Umbrella Summer

Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff

Aug 21, 09

Read in August, 2009

Someone told me that their daughter thought this book was "a LITTLE sad." Umm, try uncontrollable crying. Maybe it was just me feeling sentimental, but I thought this book was so sad. But sad like you feel for the characters, not like a tragedy happens during the story. You already know the tragedy before the story starts. It is the healing process that made me so weepy. Definitely a book I will recommend to my students. Don't think I could get through reading it aloud. I know the cover will totally turn off any boy fifth grade readers, but I would still try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Umbrella Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maria I just bought this book as a potential read aloud for my fifth graders. Maybe I need to put a book cover on it? I hope to read it next week. Thanks for your detailed reviews, I find them very helpful!

Megan Yes, I wish this had an actual picture. I didn't pay attention to that before writing the statement. Anyway, a girl's legs and an frilly pink polkadot umbrella, sonot real boy friendly.

Maria I noticed the cover when I bought it, thought it was cute! However, just as you said, it definitely is not boy friendly!