Kate's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: 2009, age-ya, paranormal
Read in December, 2009

Nora Grey just got a new biology partner, the enigmatic new kid, Patch. Patch succeeds in simultaneously exuding an air of danger (like, "I'm gonna stalk you and kill you" danger) and sexiness. Nora wants to shut him out, but he keeps popping up in her life... kind of like he's stalking her. Nora's best friend Vee wants Nora to go after Patch, that is, until they meet Elliot, a transfer student to their school, and his friend Jules. Now Vee thinks Nora should go after Elliot, despite some things Nora has discovered about Elliot's past.

The cover of this book is gorgeous and is largely what made me pick it up, although the fallen angel angle was harder to decipher and didn't really become a major theme until the last 50 pages or so. Suffice it to say that there are fallen angels walking among us who want to be human and who believed that by falling they could become human.

This book started out with a lot of promise. The chemistry between Nora and Patch was interesting. But seriously, if any guy had come near me behaving like ANY of these boys, I would have run the other way. Nora keeps putting herself in situations where she's alone in shady places, and Vee runs off with two boys without telling anyone (granted, she was being telepathically influenced, but still) and tries to convince her best friend to hook up with a suspected killer. There were a few steamy moments, but most of these moments were too "I may or may not rape you" for my comfort.

Furthermore, I was a bit disturbed by the lack of supervision and/or appropriate supervision by the adults. Nora's widowed mother is gone on a business trip for most of the novel, leaving 16-year-old Nora home alone except for a housekeeper who stays with her until she goes to bed. Nora's biology teacher and guidance counselor seem altogether too interested in her sex life (of which she has none, although she considers it with Patch). There was not much by way of swearing or sex in this book, but the messages it sends are enough to make me cautious about giving this to a younger teen. I can see this being popular with fans of Twilight and other paranormal romances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.