Heather's Reviews > Dead as a Doornail

2098381
Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010, paranormal-romance
Read in February, 2010

Like Sookie’s fashion sense, this series is stuck in the 80’s. I have come to expect Sookie to mention her hair, nails, and boobs, but this time she threw in lipstick for good measure and the result is comically cringe worthy. Any author who pens a heroine who matches her socks to her lippy and earrings, is bound to also write obscenely ridiculous “man” fantasies, a la the Sookie Stackhouse Series.

I’m circa 1985, so I have never fantasized over a man who wears bikini briefs, or is attractive only because he has good benefits, or drives a truck and works construction, or lives in a trailer behind his small town bar, or is the undead version of Michael Bolton (Sorry Bill). If my tongue is going to wag, it’s going to be for someone spectacularly badass. I thought I had found that someone in Eric, but I can’t help but judge him for his continued interest in Sookie, or grow tired of Sookie for her inept ponderings on both life and love.

I suppose Harris is a good mystery writer, I only guessed one of the bad guys, but her books are becoming extremely over the top, just like an 80’s movie. There is no real rhyme or reason to the series and I have grown weary of Sookie and all of her many admirers. I read urban fantasy to experience something surreal in a modern day setting, but Sookie’s misadventures evoke visions of Steel Magnolias with vamps, weres, fey and shifters. If it weren’t for the TV series, I would have quit this series after book one. For that, I give kudos to Alexander Skarsgard, who makes one fine Eric.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead as a Doornail.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Good one, but I am continuing on with the series, naturally:)

Heather Thanks, and I know you are/will. I'll let you tell me how it all works out. :)

Tatiana You'll probably have to wait another 10 years for this series to get over:)

Heather I know, which was another motivator to just drop it. lol. That's too long, imo.

Heather I had stopped after book 4 as well, but I wanted to give it just one more chance. Now I think I will try your method. See how far into the series the show gets, and if it begins to pass beyond the 5th book, I may give it a third try.

Rogue I understand why you wouldn't want to read any more of these, but I shall miss your sookie bashing! Lol :)

Heather You know, I think I will miss bashing Sookie, lol

Albie46 I think these are okay if you don't read them back to back, then they all start blending into each other. Some are definitely more interesting than others though.

message 9: by Radiantflux (new)

Radiantflux I love your reviews. I just finished reading #4 in German (at least then it's a learning exercise) and from what I can gather the translation didn't spoil anything.