lola's Reviews > Punk House: Interiors in Anarchy

Punk House by Abby Banks

Sep 26, 2007

did not like it
Recommended for: someone who has never even heard of punk houses/yuppies
Read in October, 2007

The long version: Fuck this fucking book. There was an incredible opportunity here to talk about the activism of punk houses, how they're run, how to run one, chronicle past and present "alternative living collectives," mention/analyze significant ones such as fort thunder or something like c-squat, the content of who lives in these houses and why, etc. etc. Abby Banks seems to have politely declined and instead chose to make something real boring. There is very little text--no communication as to what goes on in these houses, what makes them punk, or anything else beyond "Look how filthy this toilet is!" "Look at all these show flyers on the wall!" "Look at how they store all their records!"

"But Lola," you ask. "This is a photo book, it doesn't need lots of text." Okay, fair. But the photos are flat. They are seriously uninteresting. Oh, and Banks didn't even get rid of the JPEG distortion on some of these shots. Embarrassing!

The short version: Excuse me, sir, I don't mean to be rude about what you choose to read, but I'd like to point out that URBAN OUTFITTERS gave this book a five starred review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Punk House.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

distortion is pretty punk, right?

message 2: by Tinea (new)

Tinea My Dad's been asking me for about a week and a half if I got his package or not, really excited-like, and I was finally able to get to the mailroom today and lo and behold, here is this book. I spent winter break explaining to him what a punkhouse was so he must have gotten really psyched when he recognized them in the NYTimes. <3