Steph Su's Reviews > Tell Me a Secret

2010935
Jun 10, 2010

bookshelves: debs10, best-of-10, lookalikes
Read from May 30 to 31, 2010

Wow. Just…wow. An unassuming concept for a story glows in the talented hands of Holly Cupala, who captured my attention on the very first page.

Miranda’s narration is easy on the eyes and mind. Through her, problems that could’ve been easily overdramatized become painfully real expressions of emotions that anyone can relate to: grief, fear, desire, and more. While there is never much physical movement throughout the story, the emotional arc is so poignant that, towards the end, I found myself bursting into tears at certain lines or gripping the book with shaking hands as I rushed to find out what would happen, if things will turn out alright, in a way that reminded me of the frantic and passionate mood swings of PMS.

It’s true that very little seems to happen, and that Miranda’s past with her sister doesn’t entirely convince me that it’s driving her present-day decisions. Miranda herself is definitely a quiet protagonist, so those who like their female main characters snappier and wittier will not find that here. Still, there is a way about Miranda that endears her to readers, that draws us into her problems and concerns and misconceptions. Quite, “good girl” Miranda is a fully realized character: we see her flaws but love her all the more for them.

TELL ME A SECRET is a heartwrenchingly good contemporary YA read. Holly Cupala proves herself to be a powerful writing force with this one, and I can’t wait to see what Holly will write next.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me a Secret.

05/30/2010 page 36
11.25% "Wow. I think I'm loving this already."
05/30/2010 page 100
31.25% "My God, this poor protagonist."
show 1 hidden update…