Lara's Reviews > Once Dead, Twice Shy

Jan 20, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, abandoned
read count: .333

Okay, I admit defeat on this one. 100+ pages in, and still I can do is cringe. First off, I hate, hate, hate starting a story anywhere but at the beginning. Apparently this whole book is a sequel to a short story in the Prom Nights From Hell book, but nowhere in or on the book itself does it actually tell you this. Instead, you get some pretty crappy recapping that just makes you feel like there's a lot you're missing. The characters are poorly formed cardboard cutouts--no depth to them whatsoever (actually, the guardian angel character IS pretty distinct, but only in that she's the absolute most IRRITATING character I've come across in a long, long time). The dialogue is beyond stupid ("son of a dead puppy!"--seriously???), and the world itself is really uninteresting to me because the writing is so badly done. I'm not wasting any more time on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Dead, Twice Shy.

08/21/2009 page 28
12.07% "So far? This book is NOT GREAT."
08/26/2009 page 47
20.26% "Why do people seem to like the covery of this book so much? It actually kind of makes me feel sick."