Libertine's Reviews > My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Sep 26, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction, sex, sociology

As the title indicates, this book contains several anecdotes about a female libertine's one night stands. The author is a comedian by profession, and the book reads like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum doing promiscuity.

Handler spends more time writing about her hookup disasters, the "fish" she threw back, rather than her successful encounters. This is probably because the book is classified as humor, despite it being also a memoir. Some successful scores are included, of course, written in a non-explicit manner.

Though I enjoyed this book, particularly Handler's writing style, her rampant alcohol and drug overindulgence was off-putting. More than simply being a sexual libertine, Handler is more of an across-the-board hedonist.

The book ends with her predictably reassessing her libertinism, with her speculating that if she keeps on, that eventually that the only men she'd be able to get would be "men like her", which she didn't want. She didn't see that the main source of her problems was her substance abuse, rather than her promiscuity, per se.

Still, an engaging read, and I hope Handler writes another book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Horizontal Life.