karen's Reviews > Don't Follow Me, I'm Lost: A Memoir of Hampshire College in the Twilight of the '80s

Don't Follow Me, I'm Lost by Richard Rushfield

Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: firstreads, for-laughter, nonfictions
Read in August, 2009

i am a moron. when i first signed up to win this from goodreads.com. i thought "yay - it will have stories of donna tartt and tales about what a douche bret easton ellis is/was", because my mind equated the entire state of new hampshire, including bennington, with hampshire college. and i am a new england girl, i even knew people (performance artists, naturally) who went to hampshire. so once my brain righted itself, i settled in to enjoy the book anyway. hampshire is an admirable concept-college, that unfortunately few teens are equipped to take advantage of. i think i would love it now (except for the hippie "have a cause, save the world" side of it)but as a kid... that kind of freedom... i dont think i would have ended up like the author - cloistered in a foul-smelling cockroach-infested living area with thirty other lethargic philosophy-spouting people despised by the rest of the campus, never going to class, and committing acts of social terrorism, but i might have been less inclined to go to class if i didnt really have to. this book really captured the time period well, and i enjoyed laughing at the author who is now of course a successful writer while i for all my traditional going-to-class college life, am not. sigh... if the publisher is at all interested in "Typos I Have Found" in the ARC, lemme know. second attempt at review - first inexplicably erased. fingers crossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Follow Me, I'm Lost.

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg I like the idea of the entire state of New Hampshire being situated on a college campus in the middle of Massachusetts.

karen i did some research yesterday and new hampshires favorite son has his own barbecue pit!! the franklin pierce barbecue pit!!

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg You should take a vacation to there sometime, that would be a good trip.

karen could we move the labor day party?"

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg we could rent buses to transport us all back and forth, at different times, depending on when we work.

karen oh good - i was worried it would be impractical.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg Or maybe small jets, or helicopters. We work retail we can afford small things like that for an afternoon.

karen i flew a sailplane one time in north carolina. does this mean i can rent a helicopter?

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg yes it does!

karen then i can be just like amelia earhart! wanna lift?

message 11: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I equate New Hampshire with Prez Bartlett on The West Wing. I need to get out more.

karen we should do a road-trip to hampshire college!

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg If you do then you can goto Raven Books.

karen is it awesome?

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg It is! It is one of the best used bookstores I have ever been to! You would love it!!

karen you temptress

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine my brother's girlfriend goes to hampshire. she's weird

karen ooh, i even like their mugs...

message 20: by Greg (new)

Greg I used to look forward to visiting my friend who went to Hampshire so I could goto the bookstore.

karen that must have made your friend feel great.

message 22: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine the mugs are cheap.

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg I liked visiting my friend too, the bookstore was just an added incentive.

message 24: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Look! You used to win firstreads! Proof!