Dave Russell's Reviews > Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware

Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in September, 2009

This is my third foray into the world of graphic novels. This book compels me to continue into this genre. Chris Ware tells a heart-rending story of loneliness, but what truly captured my admiration was the artwork. He does a sort of stylistic 180 from the narrative. While the story is intimate and emotional his images sort of stand back. He employs repeated frames of seemingly insignificant details, such as a bird moving along a tree branch. He emphasizes the alienation of the characters by focusing on the architecture, somewhat akin to the way John Ford uses long shots of mesas in Monument Vally in his westerns, or the way Ozu uses "pillow shots" in his movies. This makes the human drama stand out more when Ware does focus on the people. A small down-turned line on a face takes on greater significance as an emotional marker.

The one drawback is in the layout of the frames. I found it confusing at times. I had to think for a second, "which frame am I supposed to focus on next?" It interrupted the flow.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.

08/31/2009 page 1

Sally I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Dave Russell Yes, thanks.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Sep 13, 2009 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle Dave, I agree with you about the frame layout. It's been years since I read this, but I do remember being confused at times.