Jessica's Reviews > Potential

Potential by Ariel Schrag

419287
Sep 26, 07

bookshelves: california-über-alles, wee-ones-and-bored-teenagers, hagging-out
Recommended for: real life lesbians
Read in January, 1999

I really do cherish this book, even after watching Schrag go on national television and admit that she made the whole thing up. Maybe I just feel bad for her after watching Oprah tear her a new one.... but honestly, what kind of state is the book industry in, that talented comic book writers feel they must pose as gay teenagers in order to get published??? Well, those revelations when Killer Films took her to court sure explained a lot about Schrag's mental state at the time. Sometimes the line between creative genius and confused madness seems so wispily slim....

However, I for one don't care a bit! Whether it's true or not, this is one of my favorite books of all time. I especially like the illustrations. They remind me of my own high school experiences, including a few I would rather forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Potential.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by matthew (new)

matthew if i recall aright, this work has an engaging anti-hero, and a portrayal of the main love interest as clear and sharp as the finest cut blood diamond.

Samantha One of the coolest characters in American lit shows up in this book. I believe her name was Maddy. There should have been more on Maddy. You can also thank Schrag for writing some of the best episodes of the L Word. "Thanks Schrag!"

message 3: by matthew (new)

matthew i think you may be neglecting the foundation of the whole series - damien. now, there's a character who dressed properly! i don't have hbo, which is where i assume "the l word" was played. i suppose there was no damien in it, though.

Samantha oh jeez, how many times do you hear the same joke? it's just that we want to be so cool like you - er i do anyway.

message 5: by matthew (new)

matthew i feel i may've missed something, there.

Tzipora This is all made up? The entire series? I'm halfway through Likewise right now and ugh seriously, like you, I saw so much of my own high school experience. The obsessive love and heartbreak. Hell, I'm broken hearted over someone right now who acted a lot like Sally... Wow. Well, fake or not, I sure related to it.

Jessica Whoa, I just saw this comment! No, it's not fake. That was just a joke... Don't let the Sallies of this world get you down!