Jamie's Reviews > Alias Grace

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

219514
Aug 20, 2009

Read in January, 2000

It's been ages, so I don't feel I can give a terrible accurate review. I read this for my first freshmen year college course on true crimes. For my final project I fictionalized the Manson Family Murders on Waverly Place, which is now down the street from me. How small the world is.
This was my first experience with fictionalized accounts of real crimes--or ficionalized accounts of anything that historically happened. Since then, they've become one of my favorites. I love the idea that someone pices together facts and scraps of information to form a patchwork reality. Wintering, a story of Sylvia Plath, is another of my favorites, though much more emotionally driven, while Alias Grace is all plot.
She was also one of my first experiences with a tricky, unreliable, female narratives, at least in a novel. One's never entirely certain of her state of mind--is she a victim, or a fox?
Otherway, it was dark, onimous and fantastically written, fully wrapping the reader up in wonder and mystery, dark, dank cellers and secrets. A true catalyst of a book, it works to open the brain to just how complicated a story teller can be, how human and multi-faceted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alias Grace.