lindsay's Reviews > Enigma

Enigma by Robert Harris

F_50x66
Sep 27, 07

Read in September, 2007

I'm a sucker for anything that involves solving puzzles, so I was pretty sure I was going to like this book when I picked it up. It's a reasonably fast-paced novel that revolves around codebreaking at Bletchley Park during WWII.

The main character, Tom Jericho, is a cryptanalyst who has had a nervous breakdown due to the strain of codebreaking and the end of his relationship with a woman, Claire, who also works at Bletchley Park. However, Jericho is suddenly called back to work when the Germans change their code books after realizing the allies have broken the code used by the German U-boats. Shortly after Jericho returns to Bletchley Park, Claire disappears under suspicious circumstances that suggest she may be a spy. The novel nicely weaves the stories of Jericho's attempt to break the new code with his efforts to find Claire.

The discussions of cryptanalysis are easy enough to follow, so this book can be a quick read. I sped through it in about two days.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enigma.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by susy (new)

susy How would you compare it to Cryptonomicon?

lindsay Nowhere near as intellectual or funny or well-written. Neal Stephenson is just a genius. Enigma was just a few hours of entertaining reading (like if John Grisham wrote about codebreaking -- although Robert Harris has a better writing style than Grisham).

Mayen Sabbir I believe john grisham is totally a different type of writer. Those two shouldn't be compared. But i would like to read the other book you've mentioned.