Laura Lulu's Reviews > The Line

The Line by Teri Hall

Apr 09, 10

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult
Read from April 06 to 07, 2010

I am giving this 3 stars based on it's potential--it really only deserves 2, but I will read the sequel, so I'll throw a bone and give it three.

This book was only 220 pages of large print, and it ended right when the action started. That's not a cliffhanger, that's a book cut in half. I appreciate the popularity of trilogies & series--I'm a fan myself--but this was a novella.

Also, the writing was amateurish, especially the dialogue. Mom & teenage daughter shopping: "Mom, this fish is going to be delicious." I know that's not the best example, but it's just one that stood out in my mind. We're not giving lines to a robot, it's a teenage girl--they don't talk like that.

And the characterization left something to be desired. These people had compelling stories, but I never really cared, ya know?

But, with that all being said, she really has a great idea here--I really liked the world she created and I'm curious to see where she goes with it. So even if it deserves 2 stars, I am giving Teri Hall the benefit of the doubt that the next one will be better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line.