Nely's Reviews > Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen

Sep 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: own
Read in August, 2009

Fairest of All is the Wicked Queen’s story... what drove her to become soooo wicked.

Firstly I want to say that the moment I saw this cover - I absolutely had to buy it. It really is spectacular. Secondly, the fact that it is a prequel to Snow White - obviously “had me at Hello”.

Ms. Valentino did a wonderful job blending what we already know of Snow White and the Wicked Queen with this new tale. In it we learn of how the Wicked Queen became the bitter and well, evil witch we’ve known for years. We are taken back to the days where she lived with her father, an artist in crafting mirrors. We also read of her marriage, her dreams, hopes and eventually her downfall. Although I did find her a wee bit whiny at times, I thought she was a very interesting character with lots of emotional turmoil. I really sympathized with her as her life was definitely not an easy one.

This is definitely a YA title - but I would recommend it more for older teens vs. the younger tweens. The content is a bit dark at times. Reading this was like getting inside information on one of my favorite Disney villains. And I really enjoyed the fact that it had a couple of twists thrown in that I didn't see coming. I recommend this to anyone who'd like a new twist to this classic fairytale.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest of All.

message 1: by Isalys (new)

Isalys Let me know how you like it! The cover is amazing :)

Nely I know - I'm such a bookcover whore I swear!

message 3: by Isalys (new)

Isalys 3 stars huh...what did you think of it?