Aubrey's Reviews > The Oath

Aug 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: mysteries, fiction, religious
Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

"I expect my story will be largely ignored by those who come after me, but who knows? It just might prove useful to the next hapless soul who suspects he's being followed, marked, and hunted. After all, we all live in Hyde River. We all have our dragon..."
I admit I'm not sure what I think of this story. On one hand, it's definately an interesting analogy. Although it doesn't really play in until the late second half, the analogy came together well and it makes a good mental picture of sin and it's power.
As I'm a sucker for thrillers, once the story finally had my attention, it pretty much kept my attention. I read it in 2 days. Now, I started The Oath 4 different times over the years, and I felt that the beginning and ending were drug out longer than nessisary.
I wanted to give this a 4 star rating. But, I'm sorry, I just don't see why sex has to be pronouced like this in a Christian novel. Yes, it's suppose to be realistic, but it's the authors job to control the imagination of the reader, and I see absolutely nothing pure or edifying to gain by giving the details he did. Is this our standard for Christian reading?
No, there was not very much sexual content, but I think I should be able to pick up a book from a mainstream Christian fiction author (not an only-by-mouth "Christian"- an author that writes novels that have a good message and ending involving Christ's light overcoming darkness; Frank Peretti, for example) and not have to discourage my 15 year old brother from reading it because of the sexual refrences. Hence, the 3 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oath.

07/28/2011 page 233
07/28/2011 page 400
61.0% "Good story so far. Not my favorite, but worth my time."
show 1 hidden update…