Laurel Hicks's Reviews > Possession

1719730
May 26, 2013

bookshelves: books-read-in-2009, audible
Read in September, 2009

I really enjoyed this and plan to read it again. It brought some of my favorite poets back to my mind and gave me some insight into the world of academic literary analysis. I agree with Byatt that we need to read and enjoy the whole book rather than just look for the parts that validate our own particular hobby horses (my paraphrase). Byatt has given me faith that good literature is still being written.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possession.

08/26/2009 page 10
08/31/2009 page 480
93.93% 1 comment
09/04/2009 page 500
97.85% "Ready to start the last chapter." 2 comments
09/05/2009 page 511
100.0% "My readings this year have convinced me that there are still good living authors."
05/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/26/2013 marked as: read
show 5 hidden updates…

Maria This sounds like an engrossing novel that should be just right for me -- why 4 stars and not 5?

message 2: by Laurel (last edited Nov 14, 2009 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurel Hicks I thought long and hard over whether to give it four or five stars. I guess I want to give it a little time to gel before I declare it a classic.

Maria Okay. I feel that way about so much that I see lately (not that I see much) and a classic is after all a classic -- I've been too lenient sometimes because of initial enthusiasm and then I wonder at myself. Hope you had a great trip!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I agree, this sounds interesting. Also, I tend to be rather sparing with 5 stars.The book has to be a truly unique gem. That's why 1/2 stars would be helpful.

message 5: by Bob (new)

Bob I rate this a five-star review!

Laurel Hicks Bob wrote: "I rate this a five-star review!"

Thanks, Bob! I have Byatt's new one, The Children's Book, on my Kindle, but I'm saving it for next year (which isn't too far away).

message 7: by Mary Ronan (new)

Mary Ronan Drew Do you think it's ok to love an author for her book covers? Byatt's are often gorgeous, like the original illustration for The Children's Book and this one.

Laurel Hicks Well, I certainly did not love The Children's Book, though it started out well.