Sharon's Reviews > The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works - and How It's Transforming the American Economy

The Wal-Mart Effect by Charles Fishman

Aug 19, 09

Read in July, 2009

I found the data this author compiled to be fascinating. Everybody has always pitted Walmart against Target but did you know Walmart does all of Target sales in a year my March 17? It's not just big, it's really big.

I only made it to page 200 before I found it very repetitive and just returned it to the library. Yes, Walmart pays low wages to people who don't have college degrees, if they paid them more, people wouldn't go to college. The book also spends a lot of time talking about the lack of oversight in overseas production. Is this a problem, probably...but he did go on to point out that Walmart has implemented standards and does inspect their factories, I think they should get some credit for trying. Good luck trying to find any article of clothing (even clothes sold at beloved Target) that are actually made in the USA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wal-Mart Effect.