Sonia's Reviews > Happens Every Day: An All-Too-True Story

Happens Every Day by Isabel Gillies

Aug 19, 09

Read in August, 2009

Haha, just blew through this one on this hot afternoon in Sellwood (in the library and the nearby cafe) when I should be working on other things. The writing is pretty bad, and after the first few pages I wondered if I would be able to get through, but (as suspected) familiarity with the people involved (two degrees of separation) and a dark fascination (ok, and some familiarity) with the seedy side of liberal arts faculty got me through it. I actually liked her comments on teaching and the academic job market--nothing really new or insightful but still kind of amusing and affirming.

e.g., "It was a move out of a John Hughes movie and very flattering, but all you can really do with a twenty-year-old surfer dude flirting with you is be amused and then have some big fantasy about it later on when you are very much by yourself."

I also liked "It [the Christmas pageant in NY:] has a real donkey, so the boys were in heaven."

And "People looked better on teaching days." True that.

Well, now I'll return it to the Multnomah system just a few hours after claiming it, so Melody can get it that much sooner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happens Every Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melody You are all heart!