Rachel's Reviews > Zeitoun

419307
Mar 10, 13

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in February, 2013

As a fan of Dave Eggers' fiction, I was surprised to find that this book was a fairly boring, pedestrian non-fiction read. I mean, sure, the story is interesting -- it's about Katrina and one particular family's horrible experience during it. But honestly, it read like a magazine feature article that an editor decided to turn into a book. I think the story itself would have worked great as a feature in the Atlantic or something ... but as is, it felt like a forced attempt at making a true story read like a novel, with lots of extraneous biographical info, continual "hammering home" of the main points: Katrina is coming! It's still coming! How about some more foreshadowing that people are underestimating it? Sure! Zeitoun is good! But he's being treated badly! But he's good!

The most important story here, the government's mismanagement of law enforcement after the hurricane, is unnecessarily bloated into a long-ish book that was written in a really uninteresting way. Quite a disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zeitoun.