Sara's Reviews > Kockroach

Kockroach by Tyler Knox

Aug 19, 2009

bookshelves: adult-fiction, fiction-madness-literaryish, magical-realism, real-thinking-needed
Read in January, 2007

Like some of Palahniuk's work, I find myself almost unable to describe what happens in this book. When I say, "It's a story about a cockroach who molts, and finds that he's now a full-size human being," I am inadequately describing what happens in the story, but that's as close as I can get.

Kockroach is a metaphor, but it's also a story of discovery. You're meant to think about what it means to be human, and the choices you've made that form your personality, as well as your persona, and how those two things differ. You're also meant to think about the serendipity that affects us, both for the better and for the worse, and how our reaction to events is what makes us who we are.

All of that makes Kockroach sound like a huge philosophical tome, but it's not. It's a medium-sized romp through petty crime and accidental friendship, so don't feel obligated to have a revelation while you're having a good time.

Extra points for the people who catch the cultural reference...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kockroach.