Jennifer D's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Sep 06, 10

bookshelves: library-borrow
Read in September, 2010

I rate this book as 3.5 stars.

I loved the first two-thirds of the novel. I found Cleave's ability to give voice to a young, female, Nigerian character quite remarkable. I felt the idea for the story to be very original. I was so eager to follow wherever the tale was taking me. Towards the end, (I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read it) the author uses a plot device that I just cannot reconcile. I know why he did it, but it does not fit with what I feel the character would have done. The story certainly makes you think about the atrocities endured by so many people in some developing nations.

There was/is a lot of hype for this book and I am always wary of books that are elevated in status. The description on the book jacket is a bit irritating ("We don't want to tell you too much about this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it..."), although I'm sure it has been marketing gold! If you can get past these two elements, I do think the book is worth reading and that Cleave has created a memorable character in Little Bee by Chris Cleave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.

09/09/2009 page 149
56.02% ""My feet crushed the petals as we passed over them, and I realized that my story was only made of endings""
09/10/2009 page 288
100% ""Photograph, Not Of Me Or Little Billie, Circa 1953""