Kristen's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, paranormal-fantasy, middlegrade
Read from April 10 to 16, 2011

These books are one of the two series I enjoy that have been translated from other countries. The original series is called The Spook's Apprentice and the author is Australian. I love that these were translated over here. I listened to the first book on audio and really enjoyed it. It's about a boy who is the 7th son of a 7th son, usually a sign of magic in most worlds. He is taken on by the local Spook, a man who gets rid of supernatural creatures and mainly works on his own.

Thomas takes on the apprenticeship and realizes what it will mean for the rest of his life - that his family may be in danger often, that no one will want to be near him for long periods of time, and that he will have to learn a lot in order to defeat witches, ghouls and other sorts of things that go bump in the night.

The problem is, Thomas has taken a fancy to a witch and has fallen prey to her whims and he releases Mother Malkin, a dangerous witch who seeks to kill the Spook. Nothing like throwing in a fairly dangerous situation to keep you reading (or listening) to this novel.

Speaking of the audio, I absolutely LOVED the audio on this book. The narrator did the voices fantastically and really made the experience of reading this book that much more involved. I definitely suggest this series to those who enjoy books like The Ranger's Apprentice and Septimus Heap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.