Karen's Reviews > Milkweed

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

Sep 10, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read in September, 2009

As always I feel like this author was able to depict a child's perspective so well. I had no idea what this was about when I grabbed it, so I was surprised to find it was a historical fiction about a homeless boy in WW2 Warsaw. It was amazing to see the horrible things going on from a child's view of not knowing anything different, and not understanding what he is really seeing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Milkweed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Hi, Karen. How are you? How are the Jensen replacements? They seem like really nice people from our side of the relationship.

Have you ever read anything about Mario Capecchi? He is the U of U scientist that won the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. He was actually a homeless child in Italy during WWII. If I remember correctly, he was being tended by some people while his mother was at work, and, while away from Mario, his mother was picked up and taken to a concentration camp. Somehow he was separated from the people he was with (I think they booted him out) and he spent the balance of the war on the streets until somehow his mother found him after the war was over. Anyway, quite a modest beginning for someone who revolutionized the way we study animal physiology (and so many other things) today. You should look him up. It's quite a story.

I hope you and Jeffrey are well. We miss you guys.

Ellis

Karen I will look him up! That's cool to know! Those stories are so sad, but such a good reminder of "what not to do", or rather, "what not to let happen"

The new folks do seem very nice but don't fool yourself, no one can ever replace the Jensens.

We are doing pretty well. Tell Jami to update her blog too and not just facebook!

Miss you all tons. A big hello from us to you and yours.

Karen