Lizzy's Reviews > The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards

Aug 19, 09

Read in August, 2009

This book is pure fun!

I stumbled upon our tattered edition with the red sky, golden river, and blue grass when skimming the book shelf and remembered how much I loved this book. I had read it many times during elementary school; it was a beloved favorite.

I thought that as this is a whimsical imagination story, it would not call up images as other, more realistic books do. Instead, I found myself living the story more than I had in a while, feeling Lindy's terror at the Prock, being in Ben's shoes as his giant bubblegum bubble burst and he fell from the sky, and understanding everyone's amazement at the Whangdoodle.

I was not disappointed at all upon rereading it for the first time in a few years. In fact, to the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised.

This book is wonderful for young readers. It is a great stretch of the imagination, which feels good to exercise every now and then. :) Long live the Whangdoodles!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles.