FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > A Rush of Wings

A Rush of Wings by Adrian Phoenix

*sigh* I wanted to like this book, I really did. However, something didn't click with me at all. I was fighting not to skip entire sections of the book. Unforunately, I didn't succeed and couldn't finish the entire book. I was very skim-happy in the end. It likely is just my personal preference, but I'll try to explain the things that I didn't like in general...

Perhaps it was the overuse of adjectives, metaphores, and explanations of smells. I might have known after re-reading the first sentence four times in a row that I was likely not going to enjoy the author's style: "The sweet, cloying odor of blood and honey-suckle hung in the rain-misted courtyard like rancid smoke" I think the author was very taken with the idea of smells in the book. Another example, from page 19: "The sweet odors of clove, pot, and wine mingled uneasily with the smells of vomit and warring perfumes." No, it wasn't just the beginning of the novel that was crowded with flowery language and smells, it continued throughout the book ad nauseum. I guess it just wasn't my thing.

Perhaps it was the French that littered the novel. I usually don't mind French since I'm decently fluent, but there was some really sloppy French in this book. Maybe I was already annoyed, so it annoyed me more? Maybe it's a New Orleans thing. I don't know, but I hate it when there is poorly written foreign-language in a book.

Finally, for me, the story didn't grab me the way a lot of my favorite urban fantasy series have. Again, this is likely personal preference, so take my review with a grain of salt.

I really wish I had liked it. Oh well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rush of Wings.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I really loved this book! The Maker's Song is the only UF series I read.

FlibBityFLooB It's been sitting on my end-table by my bed, and I keep meaning to start it, but I end up reading something else. Need to get started this evening! ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I can't wait to hear what you think!

FlibBityFLooB I was disappointed :(

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Oh, I'm sorry! Wait, you read it already?

FlibBityFLooB I couldn't make it all the way through. I abandoned after skimming too much. I tried, though *snifflE*

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Don't feel bad. It was a difficult read for me too.

Laura the Highland Hussy I absolutely loved this book, I'm so sorry you didn't. It's called Cajun French, and my bff's dad speaks it-it is a whole other language! so don't feel bad if your french didn't help you with it.

Steph :( Least ya gave it a go.

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I got this and just recently expunged a bunch of books from my TBR pile and this one was one of them. Glad to see I didn't miss anything. I think sometimes the idea of a book is better than the book itself.