Laura's Reviews > David Copperfield

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: fiction
Read in September, 2009

Like many people, I never could get too interested in Dickens when it was assigned in junior high or high school. He always seemed like such a chore to read, with the garrulous style, the zillions of characters (all with weird names), and sheer length of a lot of the books.

Fortunately for me, I decided to give him another try, and now I'm madly in love with him. It's hard to say anything about him and his work that hasn't been said already, but as a friend of mine observed, it's startling how modern Dickens's characters are, and how keen an observer of human psychology he is. Mrs. Gummidge finding herself in helping others; David's dawning realization of his impetuous decisions, and his acceptance of them; Steerforth's tragic self-awareness coupled with his inability to change himself -- all these characters would be perfectly at home in a book by Jonathan Franzen or Alice Munro.

The book is flawed, of course. As others have observed, Dickens is pretty much a disaster when it comes to writing women characters. He doesn't do too much better here than anywhere else, with the possible exception of the majestically bitter Rosa Dartle. And the ending is, incongruously, a bit pat.

Still, this was one of those book I couldn't wait to get home and read, and I'm looking forward to reading more Dickens.
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Copperfield.

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica This project of yours totally inspired me to read Dickens too, and just loving it.

Laura Well GOOD.

Priyanshaggarwal very very well done

David Sarkies We never actually read Dicken's in high school, but reading Great Expectations in University was quite a chore. However I have not completely cast him out yet, there are just other books that are higher up my list.

Laura I had to read Great Expectations in secondary school, and I loathed it. I guess it didn't help that I had a terrible teacher that year.