Abraham's Reviews > Last Dance

Last Dance by Lurlene McDaniel

Aug 19, 09

bookshelves: my-bottom-5
Read in August, 2009

I picked this up because Lurlene McDaniel was mentioned in a teaching book as an author that some reluctant readers really liked. This was a very quick read.

To me, it reads like this author must pump these books out at a rate of one a month. It has the most minimal plot twists possible, and the characters are all basically static, except for the protagonist, who does change a bit over the course of the book.

Whatever. It was mildly entertaining, and I could see how this type of novel would be good to have in my classroom.

I think that if you like the Bluford series of books, you might like Lurlene McDaniel too, although her books seem distinctly suburban instead of urban. Many of them deal with coping with disease, loss of a loved one, or other teenage drama.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Dance.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by snowgray (new)

snowgray I haven't read any Lurlene McDaniel lately, but I remember her novels from when I was a child, particularly one series about teenagers who were waiting for organ transplants... AND finding romance. I think they seemed gripping and dramatic because occasionally the characters did die, and there was also some basic information about the various diseases that the kids suffered from, which was fascinating to me as well.