Lisa's Reviews > The Pact

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

F_50x66
Aug 19, 09

I think I would have rated this book higher if my expectations for it weren't so high. Before reading this, I read "My Sister's Keeper" which was excellent. And many people raved about this one.

The story is about a teenage couple who grow up together and are dating. Their parents are close friends and neighbors. At first glance, it seems like the teens take part in a suicide pact that has gone awry--she dies, he is wounded but lives. But the physical evidence makes it seem like he has killed her, so he is put on trial. Like Jodi Picoult's other books, this one unravels the true story slowly, giving you a chance to get to know the characters. She takes you back and forth in time, which is a nice touch.

I was disappointed because I figured out what happened about 100 pages before the end of the book. Also, I felt the depth of the emotion portrayed between the teenagers was unrealistic and romanticized. However, in order for the rest of the story to stand up, you had to believe that their love was so strong--almost supernatural--that he would not seek help from others during the crisis, because only he could help.

This book was valuable, though, in how it looked at how suicide affects the entire family. Not only did the reader see how the boy was affected by his girlfriend's death, but her family, and his, the friendships between them and the relationships between the husbands and wives.

After reading "My Sister's Keeper," I was ready to read every Jodi Picoult book I could get my hands on. Now I'm not so sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pact.