Bekah's Reviews > Again the Magic

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, 5-star-reads, read-own
Read from August 05 to 06, 2011

10*

This book gets 10* because we are fortunate to have two 5* romances for the price of one in this devastatingly perfect book. Good God, if you haven’t read a Lisa Kleypas book, why the hell not? Go out now and pick this one up! I love this book so much I hate it. I hate it for the way it literally hurt my heart for these two lovers, and I hate it for the sobbing mess it made of me. A book made.me.sob. Can you imagine a love, a chemistry, a connection so integral to your very being that it would last a span of 12 years apart? With no contact at all.

This is the story of Aline and McKenna.

McKenna comes to Stony Cross Park as a small bastard boy with no family to his name. He soon becomes Aline’s play mate and later as they get older their feelings change to adoration and soon love. Their love is doomed because of their different social stations and when their romance is discovered McKenna is sent away in a truly heartbreaking manner. 12 years later he comes back for revenge. What’s so wonderful about this story is how much McKenna loves Aline. He wants revenge, but he cannot bring himself to harm her. Both Aline and McKenna desired each so desperately it was difficult to read at times.

From Aline’s perspective:

“I don’t know that one could call it pining,” Aline said, stroking the windowpane with her fingertips. “McKenna will always be a part of me, no matter where he goes. They say that people who’ve lost a limb sometimes feel as if they still have it. How many times I’ve felt that McKenna was still here, and the empty space beside me was alive with his presence."

From McKenna’s perspective:

It would be impossible to make Shaw—or anyone else—understand. The dark reality was that he and Aline had never been separate—they could live on opposite sides of the earth, and they would still be caught together in a hellish tangle. Not have her? He had never stopped having her…she had been a perpetual torment to him.

With feelings like that from the characters you just want them to figure it out and get together, but they had many burdens to break down. Most of them Aline’s fears. Justifiable fears, but huge barriers just the same. McKenna was a wonderful Kleypas hero. I give him a 10/10. He was so incredibly protective, loving and consumed with Aline. He wanted to hurt her for the hurt she gave him but he just couldn’t. And I loved the way he was determined to have her:

He owned her, by virtue of his need and the bitter washed memories of their past together.

The steam was doubly delicious in this book because we got two very passionate couples and extra yumminess to read. Aline and McKenna had literally 12 years of tension building between them and so the culmination of all that tension was almost as satisfying to read about as it must have been for them to experience! 10/10 on the Kleypas steam scale!

The romance in this book is off the charts. As I said before I sobbed because it was so achingly sweet and just utterly flawless. Lisa has a talent of taking the reader on a rollercoaster trip of wild emotions. But on that trip, she shows you how very profound true love is and how very simple it is to show it, share it, and be happily ever after with it. Aline and McKenna’s happily ever after was long, long overdue and so well deserved that I totally clutched this book to my heart and sighed like a lovesick fool. McKenna’s attempt at poetry was certainly not Byron but it was simple, sweet and true (and he proved it):

No miles of level desert, no jagged mountain heights,
no sea of endless blue
Neither words nor tears, nor silent fears
will keep me from coming back to you.

Not to be easily overlooked in this book is Livia and Gideon’s story. It was flawless and a joy to read as well, but as this review is verging on a short story, I will leave you with a progression of fabulous quotes from their love story:

Upon meeting Livia for the first time:

Gideon was instantly captivated. A hundred questions crowded his mind. He wanted to know who she was, why she was here, if she liked sugar in her tea, had she climbed trees as a girl, and what her first kiss had been like…

“Meeting her was like taking a deep breath for the first time in years.”

He very much feared that he was falling in love with Livia Marsden. He wanted her, adored her, craved her, every waking moment.

Right at that moment, staring at her across the entrance hall, Gideon Shaw, cynic, hedonist, drunkard, libertine, fell hopelessly in love. He had never been so completely in the thrall of another human being. So enchanted, and foolishly hopeful.

Livia and Gideon get the epilogue and it’s a supremely sweet and touching couple of pages. I know many people, myself included, are at times disappointed in this book because of the 2 romances and the feeling that Aline and McKenna’s story gets short changed because of that, but after my third reading I no longer feel that way. It’s the perfect amount of attention to detail for each couple and I couldn’t imagine it being done any better!

Previous review:
This was my second re-read, and I don't quite remember bawling as much as I did the second time. This was a good story, however, as others have pointed out, not enough time was spent on McKenna and Aline. It was sort of like sitting down to a big feast you've been anticipating and before you can stuff yourself silly, it's taken away and you're given a light lunch of salad and balsamic vinegar or something. :-) Can you tell that was a diet of mine once??? Their story deserved 95% of the book, but that just wasn't the case. Another irritant to me was that there were a lot of grammatical errors, and at first Aline was 17, and then she was 19. It was confusing. Maybe I misread, but it was confusing for me. I loved how McKenna loved Aline - from start to finish, sunrise to sunset, he loved her. That is again the one thing Kleypas can do - write a yummy man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Again the Magic.

Quotes Bekah Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“He shook his head, staring at her like a condemned man who beheld the face of his executioner. "Aline," he whispered, "Do you know what hell is?"

"Yes." Her eyes overflowed. "Trying to exist with your heart living somewhere outside your body."

"No. It's knowing that you have so little faith in my love, you would have condemned me to a lifetime of agony." His face contorted suddenly. "To something worse than death.”

Lisa Kleypas
“No miles of level desert, no jagged mountain heights, no sea of endless blue
Neither words nor tears, nor silent fears
will keep me from coming back to you.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I want morning and noon and nightfall with you. I want your tears, your smiles, your kisses...the smell of your hair, the taste of your skin, the touch of your breath on my face. I want to see you in the final hour of my life...to lie in your arms as I take my last breath.”

Lisa Kleypas
“For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as I do.”

Lisa Kleypas
“McKenna will always be a part of me, no matter where he goes. They say that people who've lost a limb sometimes feel as if they still have it. How many times I've felt that McKenna was still here, and the empty space beside me was alive with his presence." She closed her eyes and leaned forward until her forehead and the tip of her nose touched the cool glass. "I love him beyond reason," she whispered. "He's a stranger to me now, and yet he is still so familiar. I can't imagine a sweeter agony, having him so close.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I can't imagine a sweeter agony, having him so close.”

Lisa Kleypas
“He uttered a curse that startled her with its foulness, and gripped her head between his hands, forcing her to stare at him. His voice was savage. "For twelve years I have been in constant torment, wanting you in my arms and believing it would never be possible. I want you for a thousand reasons other than your legs, and...no, damn it, I want you for no reason at all, other than the fact that you're you. I want to shove myself deep inside you and stay for hours...days...weeks. I want morning and noon and nightfall with you. I want your tears, your smiles, your kisses...the smell of your hair, the taste of your skin, the touch of your breath on my face. I want to see you in the final hour of my life...to lie in your arms as I take my last breath.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Sleep, my love," He whispered, smoothing her long hair, lifting the damp locks away from the back of her neck. "I'll be here to watch over you."

"You sleep too," she said groggily, her hand creeping to the center of his chest.

"No." McKenna smiled and pressed a soft kiss against her temple. His voice was husky with wonder. "Not when staying awake is better than anything I could find in a dream.”

Lisa Kleypas
“She smiled at him, though her hazel-green eyes were wary beneath the brim of a sodden hat. Right at that moment, staring at her across the hall, Gideon Shaw, cynic, hedonist, drunkard, libertine, fell hopelessly in love.”

Lisa Kleypas
“A slow smile began on Gideon's face, and his blue eyes sparkled. With a shake of his head, he put his hand on his chest, as if the sight of her was more than his heart could bear.”

08/05/2011 page 45
08/05/2011 page 183
47.0% "I love this story!" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I agree with you, Bekah. I was so disappointed that there just wasn't enough of McKenna and Aline. I'm still hurting from this book. It's weird, but this book really broke my heart compared to her heart books. So intensely poignant.

Nicole Hi Bekah. I'm just now reading the Wallflower series . . . I didn't know about this one. Awesome review!

Bekah Hi Nicole!! This is the story of Marcus Westcliffe's sisters and its pretty emotional! Definitely give it a shot when you have the time!

Nicole Fortunately, I'm only on the 1st Wallflower book (Simon & Annabelle). I'm almost done with it . . . then I will read this one. It's the OCBD in me - I do not like reading books in the wrong order. :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Such an amazing story, Bekah. My favorite of the Wallflowers books.