Jessica's Reviews > The Maze Runner

202724
Aug 18, 2009

bookshelves: youngadult, dystopian
Read in October, 2009

Dashner presents us with some crazy #$%^, if you'll pardon my French. A boy who knows only that his name is Thomas, wakes up in the middle of a maze with a bunch of other teenage boys, all of them with amnesia as well. Why are they there? Who is controlling the maze? How can they get out? Half-mechanical, half-gelatinous monsters roam the maze at night, and the walls change as well, causing the boys to search constantly for a way out or even a pattern that will give them some clue as to what's going on. But, as Pee-Wee Herman says, "Certain questions get answered, others crop up. It's like trying to unravel a sweater, but someone keeps knitting, and knitting, and knitting . . ." I enjoyed this book, which started out a bit slow (Why won't they answer Thomas' questions? They do know some things!), but really hummed along toward the end, and set us up excellently for the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

05/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark I love this description: "Certain questions get answered, others crop up. It's like trying to unravel a sweater, but someone keeps knitting, and knitting, and knitting . . ." Perfection.

Jessica Yeah, that's my favorite moment in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, which I've seen an improbably number of times. And Rinna, it's probably for thirteen and up. There's some intense stuff, particularly at the end.

Taffy Hmmmm, I wonder why your favorite scene from Pee-Wees is knitting??
Good review.
Maybe I'll wait until all the books of the Maze Runner comes out before I start reading them. Think James would mind?

Heather Yes, Taffy, James would mind.

message 5: by *Amelia* (new)

*Amelia* I don't know if this was good or not, couldn't get halfway through the first chapter because of the dirty language feel (even if they didn't use actual dirty language in the first chapter, it still was gross) And normally I finish books, even if they are really boring