Alicia's Reviews > By the Shores of Silver Lake

F_50x66
Aug 18, 09

bookshelves: kids, social-studies
Read in August, 2009

I think this was my favorite book yet. You gotta love an economy where they can sell their place for the same amount as a horse. The book did start out pretty depressing. I cried when they talked about the dog dying. I was really amazed in this book at all the work that went into building the house and the railroad. It is also amazing how quickly everything went up.

The only thing I didn't like is the one place in this book where there were some racist remarks. I looked at my book and found that it is an older addition, so maybe the newer additions have fixed this. I understand that the feelings expressed in the books are also a reflection of the times and the conflict and misunderstanding between the settlers and the Native Americans. I'm glad I was reading the book out loud to Nakyla so I could censor those parts.

Overall, I still think this was a great book. It had so many wonderful things in it and it was a pleasure to read it to Nakyla.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Shores of Silver Lake.