Carolanne's Reviews > Geek Love

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

Sep 25, 2007

liked it
Read in September, 2007

I wanted to give this more stars but that fact that is was so foul and some parts were really I almost want to say, trashy? Not dignified, that is for sure. the ending was abrupt (to both the family story and Oly's personal story) which was disappointing because the whole book lead up to these climatic endings (duh).

*****

This is the most disgusting book I've ever encountered. EVER. I was eating lunch today while reading it, and I had to put it down because it made me sick to my stomach.
But it is intriguing all the same. I have to finish it tonight! I must know why Aurtro the Aqua Boy likes to chop off peoples limbs. and why Dr. P is helping him. And what Oly the hunchback is planning to do with Mary Lick! Does her daughter get her tail cut off?? What will become of poor innocent loving Chick? Do the Siamese's twins end up marrying Bag Man??? The anticipation is killing me!!
That is if I don't ralph my guts up first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geek Love.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

"Not dignified?" You're hilarious, Carolanne!

message 2: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen She's speaking somewhere, right? Live Wire maybe? I already forgot. We're going, no?

And Carolanne is the other person you heard and loved, Dan Savage by any chance?

And Mike Doughty $18.00 this Wednesday Mississippi studio (I could go either way

And this now concludes Private Conversations in a Public Forum brought to you by Marie Emrich Sweeney.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited May 11, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Let's do Mike Doughty! I'll do Katherine Dunn and Dan Savage, too! I'm just in a doing it mood, I guess.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I'm jumping into your private conversation in a public forum to say that I wish I could go to Mike Doughty with you guys. He was in San Francisco on Saturday night, but I was at The Shins show instead.

I'm butting out now...

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle P.S. This made me laugh:

I kind of want to read it now.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You should. I wish you could come up for Mike Doughty, too! How were The Shins?

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle They were really good...they played a few new songs as well as older favorites.

message 8: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen We just missed the Shins last week if that makes you feel better. But they are based here now, so maybe that makes you feel worse?

Sarah - Mike Doughty discussion (as well as Necko Case discussion) continued in your more private in -box starting NOW.

Carolanne I like Neko Case

and I think Mike Doughty was the guy I heard on this american life and thought was really funny!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think Mike Doughty was on TAL. But would you like to go to either show with us? Or both?

message 11: by Nate D (new)

Nate D He used to be in Soul Coughing! (He also seems to have a way of drawing people into discussion of books they haven't read.)

message 12: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen Mike Birbiglia. It must have been Mike Birbiglia. That's He's the one I suggested you see while in NY Sarah.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Mike Doughty was in Soul Coughing? I didn't know that.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

But you should read Geek Love, Nate.

message 15: by Nate D (new)

Nate D I will look into this.

Carolanne Mike Birbiglia sounds right...

oh and ps if you have like 3 weeks to live, I wouldn't recommend Geek Love but if you have like 15 years, I guess reading it wouldn't be that bad. :)