Rebecca's Reviews > An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers

An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory

Aug 18, 2009

bookshelves: age-adult-books, nonfiction, words-and-pictures, design, books-about-illustrating, to-read
Read in August, 2009

I spotted this on the reserve room shelves and had to OhioLINK it for myself. I'm keeping it on the to-read list in the (somewhat futile) hope that I'll come back for it and read it more closely. Sketchbooks are always inspiring, and these are some great ones. The only name I recognize is James Jean (of Fables covers fame).

I can always use the reminder that a sketchbook is a place of no rules. "The pages of this book are filled with doorways to private worlds, drawn and written to record impressions, to work without judgment, to take risks and to chart new directions...Each of the books is a slender slice of life, a slice that could be weeks long or months or years, depending on the habits of the artist and the thickness of the volume."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Illustrated Life.