Scott's Reviews > Altered Carbon

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

Oct 22, 09

bookshelves: adult-books, older-teens, second-half-of-2009, summer-reading-2009
Read in October, 2009

So I discovered that I probably like SF more than I let on when I started watching Lost. Shortly after that, well ok, not shortly, shortly, a year or two, but anyway, I got a job as a YA Librarian. And then I started watching Battlestar and reading some YA SF, and realizing, SF is pretty freaking cool!!!! But it's hard to know where to start, where to go, etc. Especially with the adult SF. It's a horse of a different color, and everything else I'd tried, was pretentious CRAP!

Along came . . . FTW! Altered Carbon, the first in a trilogy about a a PI/warrior of death/etc. named Takeshi Kovacs. It mixes Cyberpunk with noir, and does both, AWESOMELY!!!!!!!!!!! Well, mostly awesomely, it has a tendency to overuse adjectives, especially brutal, and the end is a bit convoluted and sometimes desperate, but it's such a fun ride, I hardly found the time to care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altered Carbon.

10/21/2009 page 359
68.25% "Karl, I am almost done. And it is, hmmm, trying to think of a better word for awesome . . . tremendous? That's too boring . . . ???"