Megan's Reviews > Prophecy of the Sisters

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Aug 18, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, not-mine-library

What a letdown :( After all of the awesome reviews on here, I expected Prophecy of the Sisters to be better. The idea is interesting, as is the twist in the story. Zink does a great job setting the scenes.... but that is the best I can say about this one.

Prophecy of the Sisters is a badly written mystery. You know, the sort where each discovery is a person/place/thing which only provides a certain amount of information... but always points the protagonist ~ in this case, Lia ~ in the right direction so she will easily find the next clue. While Lia professes frustration at the seeming impossibility of accomplishing her task, the reader is fully aware that more answers will be provided in the next chapter.

I also found Lia to be an unlikeable character. Granted, this novel takes place in 1890, so it is not unexpected that Lia is presented as somewhat stoic. But even her inner monolouge seems very proper and reserved.

Finally, the Spirits, Souls, Prophecies, etc. are given very specific rules, histories and boundaries. I'm not sure how to articulate my exact meaning... but when I read stories with paranormal aspects, there is always some mystery involved. But In Zink's world, the right book, spritualist, note and clue always hold the correct ~ and very exact ~ information about the secret of the Prophecy. Not a big deal on it's own.... but with Lia being very proper, the clues being in proper order and the secrets themselves being somewhat proper... all of the fun has been taken out of what could have been a creepy and haunting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophecy of the Sisters.

11/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Did I miss something in this book? I read to page 100 and the characters wasn't developed...All the characters but no description of how they look. The relationship of Lia was really cheesy. Did I miss something...

Wendy Darling Hm, I was curious about this book...but this doesn't bode well.

Megan Give it a try, you may enjoy it :) It's a good book but the writing style isn't my cup of tea.

Rebecca No, I didn't like the writing style. Like Claudia Mosley said, we didn't get a good-if any-description of what the looked like and the main character kept on repeating herself over and over and did the exact opposite of what she said she was going to do.

message 5: by Megha (new)

Megha When I picked this up, I had a feeling that I wouldn't love it as much as nearly EVERYONE else does. Glad to see I didn't make a mistake by not reading it.

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited May 16, 2013 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rebecca No, you didn't make a mistake. I thought the idea of it was pretty good, but the execution was poor. If you ever did decide to read it, I would recommend you borrow it from a library.

S.R. Wemyss I completly agree. I really wanted to like this book...but I couldn't! I liked the ending though.

Megan It's been so long, I don't even remember the ending :/

Karisa I would have to disagree with you when you say it was a poorly written mystery. I really enjoyed the book, but we all have our different views on books and like different styles of books. This was one style of book that I truly liked. I didn't find it to be a poorly written mystery and I didn't think that every thing was lined up for Lia to easily solve the mystery. She has to go through so much to solve the mystery, there are three books in this series so I'm guessing that she won't solve it to the third book. So therefore I don't think that it was easy for Lia. Since Lia's mother and father died, there was know one to help her and teach her about the prophecy so she had to figure it out pretty much on her own. With the help of her two friends she has to figure out what the prophecy is, what the keys are, how to find the keys and so on. None of this was easy for her, especially with Alice being at home and fighting against her. The souls in the other worlds didn't make this an easy task for Lia either. If you decide to read the next two books, which I hope you do, maybe you will see what a struggle this mystery and journey is for Lia. But of course we viewed this book very differently and we may view the rest of the series different as well.