Nikki 's Reviews > Enduring Love

Aug 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary
Read from May 01 to 02, 2011

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Ian McEwan, thus far. I didn't particularly enjoy Saturday, and I didn't get into Atonement the first time I picked it up, and so he has to work against quite a bit of scepticism from me.

Still, there is something compelling about his writing, and more so when he's not writing two pages all about the modern improvements in kettle technology, as he memorably did in Saturday. His narrators strike me as a bit pompous and over-talkative, but it usually works with their characters -- I didn't like a single character much, in this book, I have to say. I think I felt most about Jed Parry, and his hopeless obsession.

I think Ian McEwan writes reasonably well about the way people approach events like the ones he writes about here, and there is a frustrated sense of suspense here. On the other hand, I found some of his tricks to prolong suspense transparent and wearing, and while he does his research well, the layers of detail also got wearing.

I'm still not a convert, but I did like it more than Saturday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enduring Love.

05/01/2011 page 46
18.0% "The circling around what's happened, the portrayal of shock and survivor's guilt, is very good so far. It's annoying, in that it's repetitive and a bit pompous, but so far realistic."
05/02/2011 page 93
36.0% "I see where this is going; now I just wonder exactly how it will end."
05/02/2011 page 256
100.0% "I'll say this for Ian McEwan: you can definitely just sit down and read right through his books in one go, if you want."

K.D. Absolutely I'm still to read Saturday. Nice candid thoughts, Nikki.

I am his fan but I think you have a point about being weary.