Jessica's Reviews > Freak the Mighty

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Oct 17, 09

bookshelves: excellent-jr-high-school-level-read, ya-lit, disabilities, word-play, eng-420
Read in September, 2009

I had this book reccomended to me by a good friend with the introduction that it was her favorite book as a teen, and after reading it I could see why. I found the characters to be realistic and loveable and it was an excellent portrayal of teens dealing with obstacles such as learning disabilities, physical disabilities and family trouble and yet realizing that they did have strenghts and that when uniting together they could become something great. The two young boys start out as Freak ( a small boy with a serious physical deformity but a remarkable mind and courage) and Kicker (a very large boy with a learning disability,who people turn away from in fear due to his size and his murderer father ). When they become best friends they combine their power to become "Freak the Mighty" and go throughout town completing adventures and feats led by Freak's active imagination and love of literature, until Kicker's father returns from jail to kidnap his son and Freak is hospitalized due to his condition, and then their friendship must be tested. The novel was tremendously witty and funny, and it explores the meaning given to words and come with the dictionary that Freak writes--giving new meaning to words or adding some he himself created. All in all a very enjoyable and touching novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freak the Mighty.