Meg's Reviews > Does My Head Look Big In This?

Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Nov 06, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, religion
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy

A simple and quick read that provides a modern look at Islam from a younger point of view. Beyond theology the book focuses more on the issues that face young Muslim women in today's society. While the plot does include a few clichés, it challenges a few others, making it overall a very unique YA novel and a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the thoughts that go on beneath the veil.

Rather than reading Amal's inner dialogue as preachy, I interpreted it instead as an explanation of the will-power and self-convincing that it takes her to stick to her decision. I will, however, acknowledge that much of the book falls on the cheesy side of "feel-good," and Amal's relationship with her mother is a bit far-fetched swinging from one extreme (the girlfriend-style confidantes who shop together) to the other (the "I hate you, and you're ruining my life" accusations of teen stereotype).

I love the idea of this novel, and I was willing to overlook a few weaknesses in the writing in favor of enjoying the opportunity to take a look into Amal's life as a modern young Muslim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Does My Head Look Big In This?.