Kelly's Reviews > Cast In Secret

Cast In Secret by Michelle Sagara

Aug 24, 09

Read in August, 2009

As my rating of two stars suggests, this book was merely okay, which is a huge letdown after the first two books in the series. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say this was wholly unexpected. The main character, Kaylin Neya, is so introspective, it drives me nuts. She has always tended toward this self indulgent pastime. In this particular novel, it felt as if half the story took place in her thoughts, asides and dysfunctional exchanges with ‘more intelligent’ characters.

I found myself getting more than a little tired of her attitude, her reticence toward just about everything that seems not only a part of her world (magic and politics), but her job! Everyone in the book is so tolerant of her and I found myself starting to dislike her more than a little bit. Not a great way to get through a novel.

Finally, where is the romance? All the elements are there, but not indulged. I think a good and proper relationship would improve Kaylin’s outlook immeasurably! I doubt I will rush out for the fourth installment in the series, Cast in Fury. I am not put off enough, however, to try West’s other offerings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast In Secret.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daphne (new)

Daphne that's exactly how i felt about it. it was exasperating

Kelly Daphne wrote: "that's exactly how i felt about it. it was exasperating"

Yes, it was! Even a few years later I remember it. :) I did find the world fascinating, though.

message 3: by Daphne (new)

Daphne It is but I don't know if I would have been able to wait for the next book. I have the privilege of reading them all at once. I love the the world though x