Krystle's Reviews > The Hunter's Moon

The Hunter's Moon by O.R. Melling

Aug 18, 2009

it was ok
Read in August, 2009

My thoughts and impressions of this book weren’t that great. The writing was extremely choppy, disjointed, and the pacing of the story was extremely rushed. Everything happens so bam bam bam right after each other that you just couldn’t get into the characters or get a decent grasp for the whole build-up of suspense. So in the end you have a shallow portrait of the characters and what they’re really like. Another thing that I found really strange was that Findabhair is the name of the author's daughter.

I know the whole love at first sight thing is sweet, romantic, and everyone wishes that it could happen to them but at least make it plausible. The worst part about the romance interests for the two female leads is that this book happens in a timeframe that is just a few short days. And in that time Findabhair manages to fall in love with the King of Faeries and he vice versa? So much so that he’s willing to sacrifice his life for her? Gwen also had the whole, “wow I meet a hot guy” and they hit it off and then in one outing they become girlfriend/boyfriend and are super affectionate, kissing, hugging, what have you? I’m sorry I just don’t dig that. Then all of these people who barely knew her were willing to fight alongside her even if they would die in the attempt? Err… okay.

The writing does pick up by about the halfway mark and sort of settles down into a decent pace. There was a twist at the ending that I totally wasn’t expecting so that was some thumbs up. The author exploits fantastic knowledge of Irish mythology and knowledge of the area with great success. I was quite fascinated by the language and names.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunter's Moon.