Sean's Reviews > Faro's Daughter

Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: historical, non-us, romance
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I suppose it's a spoiler to say that I find it MOST PROVOKING that Heyer almost invariably makes sure to undercut her "strong" female characters at every turn, until finally humiliating them to the point that they succumb to the dubious charms of a far inferior love interest. Hmph.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faro's Daughter.

08/17/2009 page 161
56.49% "Quite different from the other Heyer novels I've read. Funny and lively thus far."

message 1: by Christian (new)

Christian And yet you gave it four stars?

Sean *sigh* It was fun, and funny. It was just the very end I didn't like.

Chastity Have you ever read Arabella? I think that one is my favorite of Georgette Heyer's novels, though I haven't read all of them.

Sean I don't think I have! Your 5-star rating intrigues me. I'll put it on hold at the library right away.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Yes, Arabella is one of my all-time favorites too, along with The Unknown Ajax, The Devil's Cub, and Sylvester (or The Wicked Uncle). But you know, Freddy is NOT an inferior love interest. He was always the better man. What's superior about an arrogant womanizer who has no intention of reforming? It would have been far more humiliating for Kitty to have married him. Have you ever read Friday's Child? I think you would really like that one. It is a little deeper than a lot of them...but in a good way. I know when you read Georgette Heyer you're not exactly looking for depth, but I think you would like this one.

Sean Wendy, I think you have this book confused with Cotillion, which is, I have to admit, one of the (probably numerous) exceptions to the generalization in my review above. In Cotillion, Heyer actually managed to surprise me about who the actual love interest was, and I was very, very relieved that Kitty ended up with the nice guy instead of the rake. But in that case, neither Freddy nor Kitty were particularly strong personalities—they were more of the "hidden depths" kind of person.

In Faro's Daughter, Deb and Max are both very strong, stubborn, and intelligent. Throughout most of the book, they seem evenly matched (if anything, Deb tends to come out ahead in their little battles). But at the end of the book, she is completely humbled/humiliated and finishes by weeping in his arms. Argh.

I wasn't a huge fan of Sylvester, but I've put a hold on Arabella at the library (hopefully the homebound patron who has it checked out will turn it in momentarily) and I'll definitely check out The Devil's Cub.

Chastity I must say that I think you won't enjoy Arabella quite as much if you have just read all of Heyer's other novels. I know I would be sick of her writing style after reading that many in a row, no matter how good it was. :)

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Yes, you're right. I did think it said Cotillion...can't think why. I don't remember particularly liking Faro's Daughter. I think you will really like The Devil's Cub, because in that one, if anyone gets humbled it's the man. No more spoilers, though. Not that I think all men need to be humbled, but you'll see what I mean.

Sean "...I think all men need to be humbled..." —Wendy

Awesome. :D

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hah! Though I suppose I can't really disagree with the statement, as long as the addendum is added that I also think all women need to be humbled. Who can't use a little more humility, really?

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel everything...