Allison's Reviews > The Complete Novels

Oct 12, 09

bookshelves: all-things-austen
Read in January, 2009

Mansfield Park:

Of the Jane Austen novels I have read thus far, this was my least favorite. The character of Franny is just too righteous when compared to Elizabeth Bennet or Marianne Dashwood. Though I realize that author's have the freedom to create differences in their characters, this seems to be more than that. As I was reading the novel, it did not seem to be written by the same woman who wrote Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, or even Persuasion. The characters are flat, with the exception of the Crawfords. Without them to stir the pot, the story would have felt more like a stagnant river rather than the flowing wit of other Austen stories. Franny was a character that I had a difficult time identifying with because she is written without fault. A women with her past and childhood would have more ghosts in the closet.

Ultimately, I would have to say I found this story irritating. Perfect characters create a wall between them and the reader. It is difficult to invest in a plot when the reader is not interested in the happenings of the heroine, or hero for that matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Novels.