Nikki's Reviews > Fault Lines

Fault Lines by Anna Salter

Aug 27, 09

bookshelves: fiction, mysteries
Read in August, 2009

I'd read at least two of Anna Salter's other books in this series several years ago, and for some reason this one had been languishing on the shelf until I decided it was time to make room for some of my purchases at the summer used book sales. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy her writing. I'll need to look at the remaining books to see if I've actually read all four and if so, I'll be sad until she writes another.

Salter's protagonist, Dr. Michael Stone, is a (female) forensic psychologist who practices in a small Vermont town near a university where she also has some connection. At the beginning of this book, she learns that a sociopathic sexual predator whom she has interviewed for research has been released from prison. She knows he will strike again and also fears that he will come after her. The interviews she did, if made public, would be tantamount to a full confession on his part. Meanwhile, one of her patients, a rape survivor, seems to be having worse-than-usual flashbacks. Michael has some post-traumatic stress of her own from an attack in a previous book, as well as some conflict with her cop boyfriend. Salter brings all the threads together for a thrilling denouement, complete with ethical questions for Michael. I don't often like to read books about sociopaths, and one thing that I appreciate about Salter's books is that she does not use the device of putting us inside the criminal's head, even though she is well qualified to do so since she is herself a recognized expert on sexual predators. Strongly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fault Lines.