Jill's Reviews > Joy in the Morning

Joy in the Morning by Betty  Smith

Sep 15, 10

Read from September 14 to 15, 2010

Although it was not as good as her first book, this was still a very good story and I was pretty hooked on it.

The characters, who are two young people who get married (way too early, by the way), seemed very believeable. The marital issues that they had were very legit and realistic. I felt connected to Annie, the wife, for some reason. I felt really bad for her that her husband was such a g-damn douchebag.

Reading about their relationship made me grateful for Matt! Grateful that he isn't a jerk to me about not paying enough attention to him and grateful that he doesn't believe in gender roles. This book was SUPER gender-roley - but it did take place in 1927, so it was appropriate for the time period. Still frustrating though!

The book jacket described this as an "anatomy of a marriage" and I thought it was a good description!

Also it had a lovely ending. It was a good, quick read and it made me happy that I live in 2010, not 1927, and that I am dating Matt and not Carl Brown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joy in the Morning.

09/14/2010 page 9
3.0% "This is by the same author as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I LOVED! I am really going to have to bite my tongue at all of the outdated sexism that I'm already noticing... ouch."
09/15/2010 page 77
25.0% "So far, this has been an easy and quick book to read, and I am very interested in it. However, it pains me how terrible this couple is for each other!"