Melle's Reviews > Black Orchid

Sep 25, 07

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Recommended for: DC Comics fans
Read in September, 2007

I am trying to appreciate graphic novels, but I don't think my visual artistic intelligence works well in combination with my literary intelligence. For one thing, my visual artistic intelligence is severely limited.

I liked the concept of the Black Orchid, like Poison Ivy, one of the familiar DC Comics characters that appeared (as did Batman, Harvey Dent, the Mad Hatter, etc.). However, I think the story was on a deeper level (or trying to be), that I could not appreciate. (How did it all of a sudden become an environmental moral tale with Amazonian "Indians" becoming saviors of nature by their "worship" of the plant-human hybrids?)

Also, the insertion of not-exactly-obscure song lyrics seemed artistically a little pretentious, if their inclusion wasn't meant to be facetious. I expect that kind of thing from a high school senior taking introductory creative writing and philosophy courses from the local community college.

Not my thing but I certainly don't deny the opportunity for Black Orchid to be something great to the right reader.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Orchid.