Roxanne's Reviews > Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by David Levithan

Aug 17, 09

Disclaimer 1: I gave up on this book after reading chapter 1 + a couple of pages.

Disclaimer 2: This book was not written for 29 year old lesbians, so my opinion means even less than normal.

The first reason I didn't want to keep reading this book was because Naomi used a lot of cutesy wingding-esque symbols and I just thought it was plain stupid. Not clever, or unique, just irritating (see Disclaimer 2, in where I am the old man complaining about the fast moving camera work in music videos).

The second reason I didn't want to keep reading this book was because, as much as I hated Naomi, I'm not crazy about offering multiple characters first person POV. I'm pretty sure I've liked this in a few books - it's not a DEAL break for me - but it has to be exceptional to be worth my while. I think usually just writing in third person is a better choice than this roaming first person, and I know that YA tends to be heavily first person, and I think there are compelling reasons for that. But I think you can easily lose some of what it is about first pov that is attractive (like the intimacy) when it bounces around. This isn't a Baby-Sitter's Club Super Special!

The third reason I didn't want to keep reading this book was because I don't really have time for she's-in-love-with-her-gay-best-friend. That's probably a fun topic for a lot of people, but for me - at least here - it seemed supreme boredsville.

Reason 4: Characters seemed unlikeable THIS SHOULD BE REASON 1
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List.