Ana T.'s Reviews > Into the Wilderness

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

Nov 05, 09

bookshelves: american-hist, read-in-2009
Read in October, 2009

When I first heard of Into The Wilderness I must confess I was a bit doubtful that it was the book for me. It was presented as a sequel to The Last of The Mohicans and usually the sequels are a bit (or a lot) of a letdown (it isn't exactly a sequel though as the events take place quite a few years after TLoTM and only some of the same characters appear). However Marg was so sure about it and recommended it so well that I ended up putting it in the TBR pile and this weekend I finally read it. And I am very happy that I did.

This is the story of Elizabeth Middleton who travels to the New World to meet her father and become a school teacher. Her father has other ideas though and wants to see her well married with one of his neighbours, Richard Todd, whose primary interest is Elizabeth's dowry - the mountain Hidden Wolf. But Elizabeth has other ideas, not only wants she be independent but she is also attracted to Nathaniel Bonner, Cora and Hawkeye's son, who lives with his family in the mountain and has his own reasons to dislike the Richard. To help Nathaniel gain what he wants Elizabeth must plot to apparently to her father's wishes till the moment is right to show her hand.

But there's a lot more to like than just Elizabeth and Nathaniel's story. There's the vivid portrayal of the native way of life and the settlers way of life. The tension in their relationship and the problems faced by those who live between both worlds.

I think the best thing about the story is Donati's vivid descriptions and complex characters, you really feel transported to that world for the space of the reading and when it closes you really want to know what is going to happen next with the characters. Fans of Diana Gabaldon will be happy to know that her famous characters are mentioned in the space of a page.

Grade: 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wilderness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Ana,

I would want to know your thoughts about this book. ♥ I want to read this one as I've heard so many great reviews about this book. ^_^

Happy reading!

Ana T. I'll let you know as soon as I finish! :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Good review, Ana. I think I'll try to read this one.

Ana T. I'll be looking forward to know what you think.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Hopefully, I'll get to read this one soon. It sounds really good.

Rosina Lippi Thank you for the thoughtful review. I'm so glad you liked ITW.