Angela's Reviews > Falling Uphill

Falling Uphill by Scott Stoll

Jul 19, 2010

did not like it
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Reading this book was like being trapped watching an endless slideshow of pictures from someone else's vacation. Like those pictures, the events may have been meaningful to the author, but he fails to convey to the reader any sense of the wonder he experienced along the way. My freshman English teacher was the first person to explain to me a basic tenet of good storytelling: Show, don't tell. If you show the reader what you're experiencing, they can experience it along with you. If you just tell them what you're experiencing, the best you can hope for is that they'll form a rich image of what you're doing.

Stoll wants us to be caught up in his experience, but all he does is tell us about it. HE is the focus of the story, not the experience he's having. This emphasis on the individual, rather than the adventure, may have been okay if he had grown or changed from chapter to chapter. Instead, I was bored with him and his apparent search for ... something. I was never quite sure what he was looking for, but I was pretty sure by the end of the story that he never found it. He's very proud of himself for the trip - and maybe he should be. (Logistically, it is a big undertaking.) Unfortunately, he's so intent on dazzling us with this grand trip that he misses the chance to help us learn about the world in the way he experienced it.

Finally, this book rated a 1 because the entire project is in need of more editing. The writing is simplistic, the overall construction needs tightening, and someone needs to help him resist the urge to dabble in metaphysics at the end of the book. I really wanted to get on board Stoll, but I ended up feeling bored and disappointed by the limited scope of his retelling.

The author advised me that "sharing some pros, helps create paint [sic:] a broader more useful critique..." I am part of a book club that rated a book we all hated a "1" rather than a "0" simply because it got published. In keeping with that tradition, hats off to Mr. Stoll for getting this book in print, and undertaking the Herculean effort of promoting it all on his own. Other pros with the book? From his saddle he sees things on an intimate scale which, at times, provides insight into corners of the world I'd someday like to visit. Unfortunately, you need to wade through a lot of other material to find those nuggets. An additional pro? "Falling Uphill" provides inspiration to anyone who may want to undertake this kind of trip. Stoll makes it seem very accessible to just about anyone, and I put down the book thinking, "If he could do this, so could I."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Uphill.

message 1: by Scott (last edited Jan 22, 2016 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott Stoll Update: I only responded to this review because of my personal connection with the reviewer; therefore, it seemed biased when it went from a neutral review of 3 stars, to a highly critical review of 1 stars. (Also, this review only applies to the first edition. Please note: a third completely revised edition with new chapters will released soon.)

Anyway, thanks Angela, for taking the time and effort to re-write your review a third and fourth time with a few pros and some useful critical comments. Of course, you are entitled to not like the book. I am not arguing that. So, forgive me for being defensive -- I have invested over 12 years of my life in this project. A lot of my income and reputation depends on its success. And, it is hard to believe and very sad for me to hear how much you disliked it. However, I still believe I have an inspirational message worth hearing for the right audience.

Angela I find your comment ironic, Scott, since I didn't help edit your book in any way. Just ask your ex "girlfriend" - my comments weren't included in her attempts to improve your memoir. I would have been more than happy to share these thoughts - and did share these thoughts with her - it's just that our mutual friend had a different focus to her comments than I had. It really is too bad you didn't get more critical review of your book before you self-published. It could have used it.

Your comment is also helpful in explaining why I went back and changed my review. I initially listed this book as a 3, which is my rating for something that didn't waste my time, but that I wouldn't recommend except with caveats. I revised it to a 1 once you and my friend parted ways, and I no longer had to tread softly on her feelings about you. I just couldn't let this book be listed as a 3 when compared to other 3 books, since it was one of the weakest books I read last year.

I didn't like the book, Scott. Not even a little. For one thing, I actually worked at the factory that made your bike, so I met many, many people undertaking trips like yours. You might be surprised by how many people do this - and how few of them feel the need to brag about it to the rest of the world.

I could have enjoyed learning about the places in which you traveled, but rather than talking about the places you went, you talked about YOURSELF in the places you visited. This approach might have worked, if you had evolved during the book, but that wasn't the case. I didn't even understand the last part of the book where you were having a conversation with some higher being/power about the lessons you learned, and at the end of it all I felt like you were right back where you started, except perhaps with even less sense of where you belonged/what you wanted than when you started.

And, above all, your writing style was pretty sophomoric. Run-on sentences, comma splices, and awkwardly worded phrases were common and distracting. When you put a book like this out for public consumption, you need to be prepared to accept criticims. I was just giving my honest opinion in the second review.

Since you raise the issue, I'll be sure to revise the second review.